image capture (was Feds and MIrcoslot

Thomas Mondoshawan Tate plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 7 Sep 2001 08:48:14 -0700

--y0ulUmNC+osPPQO6

On Fri, Sep 07, 2001 at 08:44:41AM -0700, Rusty Carruth wrote:
> > Only reason I know about this is because I recently bought a Sony VAIO =
C1VN
> > laptop and it came preloaded with ME (*shudder*). Of course, I installed
> > Linux side by side with it to help to stop the carcinogen, but until I =
can
> > write an image capture program using the new kernel interface, Win ME s=
ticks
> > around a little while longer.
>=20
> What kind of images?  If you have a digi camera (like Olympus D490 Zoom)
> you might be able to use gphoto (I think its on freshmeat, or go to
> www.gphoto.org (I think - email me offlist if I'm wrong)
>=20
> rc

When I was referring to a camera, I was referring to the "MotionEye" camera
built into the VAIO. Only in recent kernels (2.4.7+) did they add proper
support for the PIC chip in there to use the camera. Currently, the camera
is treated as a special V4L device, but it only works with XawTV when it's
window is 640x480x32bit color. Besides, I can't use it like a camera like
what I was doing on the ME side, so I'm going to write my own camera capture
program.

--=20
Thomas "Mondoshawan" Tate
phoenix@psy.ed.asu.edu