AZ Students : A linux solution?

George Toft plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 06 Sep 2001 21:31:53 -0700

I have not tried NFS under netware.

Riddle me this: If port 111 is blocked at the router, then isn't
the router acting as a [crude] firewall (in an abstract sense)?
It is enacting a policy in that it is inspecting packets and dropping
those destined for port 111.  That meets the definition of a firewall.
Granted, it's not a particularly good firewall.

To answer the question, that is an improvement, but I have some
reservations about it.  I would be tweaking the IPChains/IPTables
rules big time, and using two NICs.  Like this:

           80         80       20, 21,
           443        443      22, 111, etc
INTERNET-----ROUTER-----Web Server----------------File Server

The numbers indicate the ports open on that NIC.

Ideas, comments from the gallery?

George