Network Security Question

George Toft plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 04 Sep 2001 18:24:08 -0700

Hi Mark,

My suggestions:

#1 (simple)
Internet ----->(nic1)Linux(nic2)---->(internal network with all machines
on it)

Adjust IPChains to block everything incoming except port 80, and
masquerade all outgoing traffic.

#2 (more complex)
Internet ----->(nic1)Linux(nic2)--+-->(all machines)

                                  +-->Web server

Set up IPMasq rules to block everything incoming except port 80,
which you forward to your Linux Web server (on the inside).

#3 (most complex)
Internet

(nic1)
Linux Firewall
(nic2)

  +-->Web server

(nic1)
Linux Firewall
(nic2)

(all machines)

I ran with solution #1 for almost two years.  Once I figured out
how to secure it, I had no problems.  Except for my web server
(which I get free hosting), I still have #1.

Until you learn much more about Linux Firewalls, I suggest something
like #1 using Freesco or coyotelinux.  Of course, this list is a
great resource.

George