linux learning

K.L.Smith plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 4 Sep 2001 12:04:08 -0700

Charlie,

I have asked this question a dozen times.  I've also looked for that magic
list of skills.  Never found either.

I finally figured out that I need to devise a systematic approach to
learning Linux.

Here is my approach.

1) I bought the "Debian GNU/Linux Bible" by Steve Hunger.
2) I installed only the "base" system.
3) Documentation files /usr/share/doc.
4) LILO - /usr/share/doc/lilo - Use "zcat Manual.txt.gz |more" to read this
file.
5) Boot messages are stored in /var/log/messages.
6) configuration files are in /etc - Files system isn in fstab - "File
system table".
7) Learn how to reconfigure the kernel.

I'm thinking that once I have a familiarity of each configuration file and
where to find the docs I can systematically add the servers I want such as
Apache, MySql... ETC.

Anyone who has a comment please feel free.

Keith

*!* From: Charlie Bullen <sw1006@swtravel.com>
*!* To: plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
*!* Subject: linux learning
*!* Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2001 09:13:17 -0700

*!* Hello, I need to systematically learn linux. I know enough to be
dangerous
*!* now.  What if any certification course gives the best overall linux
*!* education.  The primary objective is learning. If it leads to a
*!* certification, so much the better but learning is the key.

*!* I prefer to work on my own but am not totaly against going to a school.

*!* I currently administer 2 apache web servers and 1 server for sendmail
and
*!* file sharing with samba. All my learning to date has been of the 3AM
need to
*!* have it working by 8am panic variety, so I know a little of this, a
little of
*!* that but no overall systematic view.

*!* Thanks

*!* Charlie