New box + reformatting hdb1

KevinO plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 03 Sep 2001 20:48:25 -0700

dennisk@sahuaro.f2s.com wrote:

> Partition Magic will work of course, but it might be easier to create a Win98 startup disk (Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs | Startup Disk) and use fdisk to remove the partition and let Red Hat format repartition the drive. I think you can run fdisk from the command line as well.

Watch out for MickeySoft's version of fdisk. It can't handle a lot of
things, will lie to you, not do what you've told it to and do what you
told it not to.

If you can get you hands on a BBC (bootable business card) or something
similar, you could use the Linux version with far improved results...

The Redhat install program should have a problem with your second drive
(I know Mandrake's wouldn't). Even if it has been previously been
formatted FAT32, NTFS, HFS or whatever.

You may have to install in expert mode, however, to have the option of
removing the old FAT partition on that drive and using it for the
install.

PLEASE MAKE SURE that you don't have any files on it already that are
used for your WinBlows(tm) system.

If DiskDruid can't/won't work for you, you could use Linux's fdisk as
follows:

# fdisk /dev/hdb
The number of cylinders for this disk is set to XXXX.
There is nothing wrong with that, but this is larger than 1024,
and could in certain setups cause problems with:
1) software that runs at boot time (e.g., LILO)
2) booting and partitioning software from other OSs
   (e.g., DOS FDISK, OS/2 FDISK)

Command (m for help): o

Command (m for help): w

Reboot and you should now have an empty partition table on hdb and the
world will be at peace again...

If you can only get access to WinBlows(tm) fdisk, you can try to use it
to remove the old, FAT partition.

It is not that hard to use, just confusing - like hitting <esc> all of
the time to continue, and telling it that you want to remove partition
number 1 even when that is all there is on the disk.

PLEASE MAKE SURE that you don't have any files on it ....

I find Partition Magic works the handiest for me using the two floppy
technique. There is a script on the Partition Magic CD to create the two
floppies using a Linux system. I haven't looked but there may be one for
doing it under WinBlows(tm) also.

--
Kevin O'Connor

People in cars cause accidents...
Accidents in cars cause people.

Note : WinBlows(tm) is a registered trademark of the MickeySoft
Corporation and is not affiliated with Phoenix Linux Users Group or any
of its' members...