HPT370

Thomas Mondoshawan Tate plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 31 Oct 2001 07:11:15 -0700

--GvXjxJ+pjyke8COw

On Tue, Oct 30, 2001 at 10:37:18PM -0700, Michael J. Astrauskas wrote:
> Does the HPT366 controller kernel option in Kernel 2.4.8
> support RAID, or merely the extended controllers? If
> the latter, does anyone have any patches or solutions
> so that I can use my VFAT RAID-0 stripe?
>=20
> --
>  - Michael J. Astrauskas

Quote the Linux Help for the HPT366 Option:
HPT366 is an Ultra DMA chipset for ATA-66.
HPT368 is an Ultra DMA chipset for ATA-66 RAID Based.
HPT370 is an Ultra DMA chipset for ATA-100.

If you're chipset is the HPT368, then yes, it supports hardware RAID. If no,
then you can always turn on software RAID by turning on the "Multiple
devices driver support (RAID and LVM)" option. Actually, come to think of
it, you may have to turn that option on even if you want to use hardware
RAID.

Make sure you have the latest raidtools available.
More information can be found in the Software-RAID HOWTO,
(http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Software-RAID-HOWTO.html)

and the Linux DPT Hardware RAID mini-HOWTO.
(http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/mini/DPT-Hardware-RAID.html)

--=20
Thomas "Mondoshawan" Tate
phoenix@psy.ed.asu.edu