slackware firewall for internal windows network

George Toft plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 28 Oct 2001 10:00:35 -0700

Hi Jeff,

It looks like you've got the hardest part done.  Activate IP
Forwarding with this:
# echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

You should put the above line in a script so it gets run after each
reboot as it is not persistent.  Here is a good place for the slackers
to tell us the elegant method under slack.

Here is link to a good firewall script:
http://georgetoft.com/linux/firewall/index.html
skip down to the section that says "/etc/init.d/firewall"

You may have to make some adjustments so the Windows boxes can
access the nameserver.  There are some other security tidbits in
there, too, that I highly recommend.  See also:
http://georgetoft.com/security/index.html

Set up the windows boxes to use your 192.168.x.x IP as the default
gateway and DNS and you should be good to go.

George