slackware firewall for internal windows network

Jeff Barker plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 28 Oct 2001 02:11:12 -0700

--=====================_1852884==_.ALT

I'm setting up a firewall for an internal network at home mainly to keep security inside the network, and to maximize internal network speed and file sharing capabilities.

I want to be able to have the firewall basically transparent using ipfiltering so the two computers behind it can still have full access to the internet.

I want to use a 192.168.0.x internal network address.

The system is a K62 3D with two network cards, a 3com 3c905b, and a netgear FA310Tx card. I have access to the internet using the 3com and I've gotten the module support for the tulip driver for the other card and set up to use the 192.168.0.x network address.

I use a static IP address setup for eth0 on COX@HOME and run a DNS server to be able to lookup names, because I can't get it connected to COX any other way without knowing their DNS server addresses. (I lost the paper and they don't give them out anymore, they want you to use DHCP which incidentally I can't get to work right either)

Anyways, right about here is where I am confused on what to do next to get it to forward packets and masquerade or how to configure it as a router of anytype.

I'm using Slackware 8.0 with a newly compiled 2.4.5 kernel with support for NAT, routing and many other options that I knew I needed in setup.

I've read through the many HOWTOs, and other Guides at the LDP website, on routing and firewall setup and a lot of it is for Redhat which is enough of a difference to confuse me even more.

Does anyone have any knowledge they could pass me, have a setup like this yourself that you could share your experiences, or just have some advice for me?

oh yeah, I have a hub that I was planning on setting up like this:

Two windows 2000 machines going through a hub, which connects to the linux machine through an up port which is connected to the Cable modem with the other card.

I want to be able to share files through the two windows machines, and even networked drives, but not with the linux machine at all, just those two machines.

I did not install samba support because since this was the case I didn't think it would be needed.

Ok, where do I start?

J e f f  B a r k e r

Stickboy Productions
http://www.stickboyproductions.com
jeff@stickboyproductions.com
home:  602.992.4478
work:   480.315.4325
fax:      480.315.4003
--=====================_1852884==_.ALT

I'm setting up a firewall for an internal network at home mainly to keep
security inside the network, and to maximize internal network speed and
file sharing capabilities.<br><br>
I want to be able to have the firewall basically transparent using
ipfiltering so the two computers behind it can still have full access to
the internet.<br><br>
I want to use a 192.168.0.x internal network address.<br><br>
The system is a K62 3D with two network cards, a 3com 3c905b, and a
netgear FA310Tx card. I have access to the internet using the 3com and
I've gotten the module support for the tulip driver for the other card
and set up to use the 192.168.0.x network address.<br><br>
I use a static IP address setup for eth0 on COX@HOME and run a DNS server
to be able to lookup names, because I can't get it connected to COX any
other way without knowing their DNS server addresses. (I lost the paper
and they don't give them out anymore, they want you to use DHCP which
incidentally I can't get to work right either)<br><br>
Anyways, right about here is where I am confused on what to do next to
get it to forward packets and masquerade or how to configure it as a
router of anytype.<br><br>
I'm using Slackware 8.0 with a newly compiled 2.4.5 kernel with support
for NAT, routing and many other options that I knew I needed in
setup.<br><br>
I've read through the many HOWTOs, and other Guides at the LDP website,
on routing and firewall setup and a lot of it is for Redhat which is
enough of a difference to confuse me even more.<br><br>
Does anyone have any knowledge they could pass me, have a setup like this
yourself that you could share your experiences, or just have some advice
for me?<br><br>
oh yeah, I have a hub that I was planning on setting up like
this:<br><br>
Two windows 2000 machines going through a hub, which connects to the
linux machine through an up port which is connected to the Cable modem
with the other card.<br><br>
I want to be able to share files through the two windows machines, and
even networked drives, but not with the linux machine at all, just those
two machines.<br><br>
I did not install samba support because since this was the case I didn't
think it would be needed.<br><br>
Ok, where do I start?<br><br>
<x-sigsep><p></x-sigsep>
Stickboy Productions<br>
jeff@stickboyproductions.com<br>
home:&nbsp; 602.992.4478<br>
work:&nbsp;&nbsp; 480.315.4325<br>
fax:&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 480.315.4003<br>