Cox now insists on DHCP protocol

Victor Odhner plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 26 Oct 2001 10:43:42 -0700

Digital Wokan wrote:
> They can check to see if your system has a current lease on the DHCP
> server.  If not, they can see if it's up with a ping.  If so, they know
> you've got a static address set.

Since I connect with Windows daily, I maintain my DHCP lease.
My IP address hasn't changed in the 18 months I've been with Cox,
and my lease has probably never expired in that time.  (My IP
address was printed on their installation paperwork!)  So even when
I'm connected "static" from Linux, they can see I've still got the
lease.  This will change when I get my Linux firewall running with
NAT, then I'll have to be sure to get DHCP set up properly.

I do not have SMB enabled.  I don't know what effect, if any, the
@home workgroup has.

Vic