The Future of PLUG

Victor Odhner plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 24 Oct 2001 10:49:41 -0700

Jim, I have only attended one of the "regular"
PLUG meetings, and it seemed just right to me.
I think the format regulated itself well.

Jim wrote:
> Who would want to come at 6:30 to hear the
> background information?

You nailed it.  Newbie meetings, even as a
prelude to regular meetings, will just drive
away the people who know that stuff.

How about this:  If a presentation is going to be
based on any substantial Linux knowledge, then the
presenter should think through a few prerequisites
a few days before a meeting, and should post this
list of subjects and terms to this list.

Then anyone on the list who doesn't understand
what those things are can start asking questions!
Folks can post links and the discussion can
simmer for a little while.

By the time of the meeting, everyone should have
at least a fighting chance to understand what's
being discussed.  The presenter will still have
to fill in a few gaps, but it should help a lot
to have had a little warning.  And then any
questioner who failed to do any homework should
be put off for later.

Note that some topics wouldn't need this.  Rob's
presentation on Visual Slick Edit for example was
just an opportunity to see how the package looked
and what it offered.  I learned a lot in the
unorganized discussions after the presentation.

And "how to install Linux" is a big, BIG topic.
It's always a mix of newbie and war-story stuff,
and it certainly needs its own meeting.

Or again, do the newbie stuff on the list.  You
never know what's going to save your bacon next
week, and having those tips archived in writing
is SO valuable!

Vic