Match distro and desktop?

Alan Dayley plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 23 Oct 2001 21:50:24 -0700

RedHat has 7.2 out.  I just burned the CDs.  In the release email I got, they
tout Gnome and Nautalus but there is no mention of KDE.  I know KDE is in
there but they are obviously pushing Gnome.

SuSE is very KDE "centered."  I assume other distros may be "centered" on
some other window manager/desktop environment.

Question: Is it better/more reliable/more supported to run the
distro-preferred desktop or does it not really matter?

To ask it another way: Is it true that, for example, if I really like KDE, I
should use SuSE because SuSE will be "better" integrated with KDE and,
conversely, if I really like RedHat I should use Gnome since they will
support Gnome better?  That it is better to use the "matching" distro and
desktop pair?

Alan