how to change hostname

Isaac Sparrow plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 19 Oct 2001 15:03:37 -0700

From the man page for hostname on Red Hat Linux 7.1:

HOSTNAME(1)   Linux Programmer's Manual   HOSTNAME(1)

The  host  name  is  usually set once at system startup in /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1
or /etc/init.d/boot (normally by  read­ing  the  contents of a file which
contains the host name, e.g.  /etc/hostname).

Usually  (if  the hosts  file is parsed before DNS or NIS) you can change it
in etc/hosts.

Hope this helps,

Isaac Sparrow
Staff Engineer
VisiComp, Inc.
http://www.visicomp.com

GnuPG Key Fingerprint:
1060 5A07 F6EC B2B3 9AAA 3EA5 7B79 EFE1 6397 4F47
Get my public key at:
http://www.concentric.net/~issparow

Real computer scientists only write specs for languages that might run
on future hardware.  Nobody trusts them to write specs for anything homo
sapiens will ever be able to fit on a single planet.