SAMBA was RE: how to change hostname

David Mandala plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 19 Oct 2001 16:06:52 -0700

Hmm, I'm confused, why did you reinstall Linux and SAMBA? Anyway SAMBA (if I
remember correctly) gets its info from the local machine. So make sure when
you log in that you are getting the hostname of the machine and also make
sure that the host name is either in DNS both forward and reverse or its in
the hosts file. Then restart (not reinstall) SAMBA and all should be well.
If you run nslookup with the hostname it should return the ip adress and
conversly if you run nslookup with the ip address you should get the host
name. Good luck, I'll check mail later tonight.

Yep I just read the man page on smb.conf and smb, SAMBA will get its name
from the machine it is running on. So make sure about the DNS or the hosts
file is correct.

Cheers,

Davidm

-----Original Message-----
From: Eric [mailto:serpica@asu.edu]
Sent: Friday, October 19, 2001 4:22 PM
To: plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Subject: RE: SAMBA was RE: how to change hostname

Well ok I did that, even though it seems I shouldn't have to:  Samba was
working on this machine.  I saved my smb.conf file on a floppy.  Reinstalled
Linux, then copied the file back to /etc/samba.  So I figured there could be
no chance of error, with that file at least.  Anyway, after I got into
trouble, I checked it again, but I don't see any occurrence of "localhost".
?????????????????  So could this file be the problem?

Here is my file for any helpfuls pedants out there

#======================= Global Settings
=====================================
[global]

   workgroup = Dogmadog

   server string = Samba Server

   hosts allow = 192.168.0. 127.

   printcap name = /etc/printcap
   load printers = yes
;   printing = lprng

;  guest account = pcguest

   log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log

   max log size = 0

   security = server
  password server = Servie

;  password level = 8
;  username level = 8

  encrypt passwords = yes
  smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd

   ssl CA certFile = /usr/share/ssl/certs/ca-bundle.crt

  unix password sync = Yes
  passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
  passwd chat = *New*UNIX*password* %n\n *ReType*new*UNIX*password* %n\n

;  username map = /etc/samba/smbusers

;   include = /etc/samba/smb.conf.%m

;   interfaces = 192.168.12.2/24 192.168.13.2/24

;   remote browse sync = 192.168.3.25 192.168.5.255
;   remote announce = 192.168.1.255 192.168.2.44

;   local master = no

;   os level = 33

;   domain master = yes

;   preferred master = yes

;   domain logons = yes

;   logon script = %m.bat
;   logon script = %U.bat

; name resolve order = wins lmhosts bcast

;   wins support = yes

;   wins server = w.x.y.z

;   wins proxy = yes

   dns proxy = no