File system conversion

Bill Warner plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
17 Oct 2001 16:44:32 -0700

--=-cU4lmRTG26bg1k0VTU+U

I don't think there is any way at all to on the fly convert to ext2 from
vfat.  creating a buch of iso images and burning them all to cd would be
a good idea anyway.  if that drive goes dead that is a lot of
burning/downloading time gone to waste.

BillW

On Wed, 2001-10-17 at 05:36, Alan Dayley wrote:
> A friend of mine has a 40G hard drive FULL of MP3s.  It is all in a VFAT =
file=20
> system, you know, Windows 95 or newer, because he was running Windows whe=
n he=20
> ripped and collected the songs.  Well, the drive is now connected to a Li=
nux=20
> box but VFAT does not provide good permission administration under Linux =
so=20
> he wants to convert it to ext2 or some other Linux friendly file system.
>=20
> Is there a utility to convert the file system "on the fly" so he does not=
=20
> have to move the data to other media and copy it back again?  I know larg=
e=20
> hard drives are cheap now but he doesn't want to worry about doing the wh=
ole=20
> dump-change original file system by formatting-dump back thing.  Plus he=20
> would rather not spend any money.
>=20
> Alan
--=20
Bill Warner
Unix/Linux Admin.
Direct Alliance Corporation

Company required stuff:

Contents are Direct Alliance Corporation Confidential

This message is for the designated recipient(s) only and contains
Direct Alliance Corporation privileged and confidential information.
If you have received it in error, please notify the sender immediately
and delete the original.  Any other use of this email is prohibited.

--=-cU4lmRTG26bg1k0VTU+U

--=-cU4lmRTG26bg1k0VTU+U--