failed prop "standards"

Jason plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 15 Oct 2001 05:25:24 +0000

> > anybody got some good examples of failed prop protocols?
> > DECnet
> > the 56k modem standards prior to standardization
> > html "standards" that issued from companies/browsers rather than the W3C
> Sony's 3 inch diskette standard
> LS-120 zip disk alternative based on IDE interface (possible argument here)
> MCA IBM's Microchannel

RealAudio as a standalone file (continues to succeed as a streamed
media format, however). (MP3 replaced it nearly completely, I still
have some .ra files from before I got an MP3 codec in the late 90s,
including Macarena.ra! LOL...)

If one is going to classify IBM's MCA as a failure, I think its only
fair that it be mentioned:
EISA... The plug on this thing begs for problems, physically. Didnt
quite make it, did it?
VLB... The standard that wasnt. I dealt with those things, each
motherboard and card was just different enough to cause headaches. My
first Linux box ran on a VLB SCSI card that was obtained free from
another company, because it was too much hassle to work with!

In other words, the alternatives to MCA sorta sucked too.. :-)

--
jkenner @ mindspring . com__
I Support Linux:           _> _  _ |_  _  _     _|