zope and rpms

Craig White plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 14 Oct 2001 21:38:19 -0700

Lucas Vogel wrote:

> I tried applying a hotfix and installing a bunch of different Products for my
> zope app, but I think I messed something up in the application of the patch
> because now it won't run. Zope is installed as an rpm, which worries me upon
> updating the package because I don't want my object db to be wiped out, and I
> can't seem to locate it anywhere in the directory to back it up. If I update
> the rpm will it erase the db? Or does it not install a db when the package is
> installed, is it created on the fly if it doesn't exist?

-----
I don't know anything specificially about zope and it's rpms but have
the following thoughts...

rpm -Uvh package - would generally not alter configurations and static
items such as db's that are associated with the packages as a matter of
practicality - it is after all an update and not an install.

You can view the scripts associated with the rpm if you are in doubt.

You can back up the db's just in case you don't trust. Normally, these
would be installed in /var/lib or possibly /var/zope.

You can list the 'scripts' that are in the rpm file by using --scripts
with the -l option

Craig