Screen Resolution

Gontran plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 14 Oct 2001 17:17:34 -0700

* Richard L. Proctor (krycom1@home.com) wrote:
> On Monday 15 October 2001 05:52 am, Tom Achtenberg wrote:
> > I recently changed monitors and my new one does not have the same
> > resolution.  I am using RH 7.0  When I installed the OS I selected the
> > monitor and resolution.  Now I am not able to find any where to change it.
> > When I boot up everything goes fine until it goes to the Gnome graphical
> > login then I get an "Out of Range" message on my new monitor.  How do I go
> > into Gnome and change the monitor and resolution?  (Please do not answer to
> > upgrade to 7.1 or another release.  I'll upgrade when 7.2 is available.)
> >
> > Tom Achtenberg
> >
> > Visit my Home Page www.Achtenberg.com
> >
> Tom,
>
> As root do cd /etc/X11
> vi XF86Config-4
>
> Then edit your changes and save it.

If you're having problems just getting to a prompt, you could try

linux single

OR

linux 1

at the lilo prompt ( assuming your using lilo and other things).

Then after you're done with what Richard suggested, though I'd
further suggest you pick the lowest resolution available as the
default ....  To expand on that further:

Look for the "Section 'Screen'"

In that stanza, make sure the "Display" block that appears
first is the one you'd like to be the default.

Then save and exit.

Maybe you'll want to issue
# init 3

to get to the default run level.  From there you can
further test your XF86Config by trial and error
by issuing

	% startx

At the command line.

HTH,