Center for Internet Security

geneous2@home.com plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 12 Oct 2001 01:05:14 -0400

From the SANS Institute e-letter:

NewsBites readers who want to change Microsoft's behavior can
make a difference. More than 170 organizations (such as Shell,
Intel, Hallmark, NASA, NIST, Navy, Infocomm Development Authority
of Singapore, the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, and VISA and
many other large and small organizations) have banded together to
develop minimum security benchmarks for Internet connected systems.
When enough organizations join them, and the buying community demands
vendors deliver systems meeting minimum security standards, change
will be possible.  Instead of crying about the vendors' behavior,
do something about it by joining others of like mind in the Center
for Internet Security at www.cisecurity.org.

Members of the Center are already testing tools that measure security
of Cisco routers and of Solaris systems and they will shortly have
a tool that measures security of Windows 2000.

Looks like a place to put my money where my mouth is...

Gene

http://mail2web.com/ .