xcdroast "failed to scan the SCSI-bus"

Thomas Mondoshawan Tate plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 9 Oct 2001 19:45:44 -0700

--eHhjakXzOLJAF9wJ

On Tue, Oct 09, 2001 at 01:40:30PM -0700, tim cutler wrote:
> I'm trying to enable the CD-RW device on my system. I get this when=20
> executing "xcdroast" on RH7.1:
>=20
> "Failed to scan the SCSI-bus. Either no permission to access the generic=
=20
> scsi devices or no SCSI support enabled in the kernel. For ATAPI devices=
=20
> you have to install the SCSI-emulation first. Please see the=20
> CD-Writing-HOWTO ..."

What kind of CD-R drive are you using? IDE or SCSI?

> I have the /dev/sg1,2... devices with permissions set per=20
> "CD-Writing-HOWTO" (cwr------- root root ... /dev/sg1). So, I need a=20
> clue. How do I know SCSI support or the SCSI-emulation is present? Is a=
=20
> modern CD unit an ATAPI device?

You'll know the SCSI subsystem is turned on in th kernel by checking the
dmesg for a line that says something similar to "SCSI subsystem driver
Revision: 1.00". Note that if this one isn't there, you'll either have to
load the scsi and sg modules or recompile your kernel to provide support.

[1]You'll know SCSI emulation is turned on by checking the dmesg for a line
that reads "ide_setup: hdx=3Dscsi" and another line that says "ide-cd: pass=
ing
drive hdx to ide-scsi emulation". If you don't see this line, try adding
"hdx=3Dscsi" to the kernel command line. If you still don't see these lines,
you need to recompile your kernel.

Most CD units are ATAPI compliant -- especially if it's an IDE CD-R drive.
Might want to doublecheck that it's supported on the cdrecord website[2]
just to be sure, though.

[1] Replace hdx with the device name of your CD-R in IDE mode. Ex: if my
CD-R was on /dev/hdc, then hdx =3D hdc

[2] http://www.cdrecord.org

--=20
Thomas "Mondoshawan" Tate