fsck every time I boot

George Toft plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 09 Oct 2001 09:07:20 -0700

How are you shutting down the system?  It seems unreasonable to
me that that your Maximum mount count would have changed to 1
by itself.  Check it out:
# tune2fs -l /dev/hda1 | grep -i 'mount count'
tune2fs 1.19, 13-Jul-2000 for EXT2 FS 0.5b, 95/08/09
Mount count:              2
Maximum mount count:      20
#

The default is 20.  You can change it with tune2fs -c (see man
page).

I would look at how you are shutting down the system that is
causing the fsck every time.  As I understand it, fsck occurs
before mounting under the following conditions:
1.  Filesystem state:         not clean;
2.  "Mount count" > "Maximum mount count";
3.  Date > "Next check after" (default 6 months after last mount)

So either you are not unmounting the file system when shutting
down (hard reset, corrupted/missing script S01halt), or your
maximum mount count is set to 1, or you reboot every six months.

(And, yes, I have had condition #3 happen to me.)

George