Rant

George Toft plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 07 Oct 2001 16:09:41 -0700

I would look at it from a marketing perspective.  Each of the
distros you cited are backed by a company.  I believe Slack is
supported only by Patrick V.  Also, look at the market share.
Red Hat has 55-60% market share, Caldera 10%, and all others
are less that that.  Caldera and Mandrake are Red Hat spin-offs.
So what it comes down to is how much effort is a company willing
to spend on a distro (Slack) that has under 5% market share?
Anyone willing to use Slack or Debian presumable knows enough
to get it to work anyway, so they really don't need to support
it.

Looking at it another way, knowing that Netscape has under 20%
market share, more and more web sites are being designed to work
only with I.E.  Why?  The effort to appease the 15-20% is not
worth the effort.  That thought is more valid with only 5%
market share.

Of course, some will say that 5% is worth going after.  Loki
thought so, that's why we have some games.  Linux on the
desktop is about 5% market share - Windows taking up the
other 95%.

George