Debian partitions

John (EBo) David plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 05 Oct 2001 22:29:52 -0700

Victor Odhner wrote:

> Thanks EBo,
>
> The instructions below are welcome, but I haven't yet
> boostrapped to the point where I can use them.
> There is no make* or gcc* anywhere on the system.

oops... sorry.  I have not been tracking well.

> I have followed the Debian install to the point of
> trying to "Make Linux Bootable Directly from Hard Disk",
> or "Make a Boot Floppy".  Neither of these work.

tha'd be a problem for sure...  One thing you could try is to boot from
the rescue disk, mount your root and boot partitions and run lilo with
the load config_file option "-C" and force it to write to the boot
record.

> I have no base installed, just what's in the
> ramdisk, which comes from the rescue and boot diskettes.

ahhh... wait.  You mean you you have not written the basic OS to the
harddrive (ie there is no file system on the disk yet)?  If you only
have a memory resident version then none of it would work, but I assume
that you were installing it and it died in the "make bootable" section
which is one of the very last...

  EBo --