Linux <= 128MB

Thomas Mondoshawan Tate plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 5 Oct 2001 15:33:02 -0700

--BXVAT5kNtrzKuDFl

On Fri, Oct 05, 2001 at 02:41:41PM -0700, Alan Dayley wrote:
>=20
> I am looking for a bootable Linux distro that I can install on a 128MB ATA
> PC-card.  X-server is not needed, just console and some standard admin
> apps.  The PC-Card will be in an IDE adapter so the system sees it as the
> master IDE drive.
>=20
> Any recommendations?
>=20
> Alan

First off, I'd make sure the Linux kernel can use the ATA PC-card -- I've
had some mishaps with TDK cards that use unknown/bizarre ATA chipsets and
Linux refuses to work with them.

Second off, if you're just building something small for, say a router, I'd
say build it as a simple initrd->rootdisk setup instead of relying on a
prebuilt distro -- less clutter, and it makes things 100x easier when trying
to manage the configuration of packages and services later. If you're
gung-ho for a distro, I'd say go with something like zipslack, (dare I say
it... =3Dop) Hard Hat, Rock, or CRUX.

Out of curiosity, what are you intending this for?

--=20
Thomas "Mondoshawan" Tate
phoenix@psy.ed.asu.edu
http://tank.dyndns.org