Linux <= 128MB

Kevin Buettner plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 5 Oct 2001 15:06:03 -0700

On Oct 5,  2:41pm, Alan Dayley wrote:

> I am looking for a bootable Linux distro that I can install on a 128MB ATA
> PC-card.  X-server is not needed, just console and some standard admin
> apps.  The PC-Card will be in an IDE adapter so the system sees it as the
> master IDE drive.
>
> Any recommendations?

I wonder if you could adapt the Red Hat system administrator's survival
CD for your purposes?  See:

    ftp://ftp ftp.redhat.de/pub/rh-addons/rescue-cd

You might also look at some of the packages used to create custom
rescue disks.  (I used one a while back, but I forgot what it was
called.)

I haven't tried out Slackware in a very long time, but when I used
to use it, I seem to remember that you could customize the install
to fit in a fairly small space.  Perhaps that's still true.

I think you should also be able to take pieces from an already working
system and assemble these into a new root file system.  That way you
could use your favorite distro.  (It'd be a valuable learning experience
too because you'd find out about the various dependencies between the
files you assemble into your new root file system.)

Kevin