Debian partitions

KevinO plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 04 Oct 2001 19:57:14 -0700

This doesn't look like a problem. hda4 would have been a 4th primary
pertition. After hda3, your remaining partitions are logical ones,
sitting on an extended partition. Unless you appear to have a bunch of
space missing, everything appears normal. I lot of systems only have a
single primary and the rest are logicals sitting on an extended. It
doesn't make much difference as long as it is done properly.

/boot will be located on /dev/hda1 = the root filesystem. No apparent
problem here either.

KevinO

Victor Odhner wrote:

> Setting up a Debian system, I have /dev/hda with the following
> partitions:
>  1 /      123.38 MB
>  2 /usr  1126.87 MB
>  3 /home 2401.79 MB
>  4 ?
>  5 /swap   65.81 MB
>  6 /tmp   148.06 MB
>  7 /var   501.75 MB
>  8 /work 2130.35 MB
>
> Partitioning seems to have skipped assigning /dev/hda4.
>
> Q1:  Is this significant?
>
> I've seen references to a partition called /boot.
> My understanding is that the whole system can
> be a single partition if I wish, so I presume
> /boot can be a mount-point within the root partition.
>
> Q2: Do I need to do anything about /boot, or should
> it just appear?
>
> Vic

Kevin O'Connor

 "People will be free to devote themselves to activities that are fun,
such as
 programming, after spending the necessary ten hours a week on required
tasks
 such as legislation, family counseling, robot repair and asteroid
prospecting.
 There will be no need to be able to make a living from programming."
 The GNU Manifesto - Copyright (C) 1985, 1993 Free Software Foundation,
Inc.