KDE and speed

Rick Rosinski plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 2 Oct 2001 18:25:24 -0700

> But rather than go there now, I'd like to know why 2-3 seconds is "doggedly
> slow" to you?  I also have a 1Ghz Athlon with 384MB memory and a 100UDMA

Applications take about 10 seconds or more to load for me, konqueror, kmail,
etc - and of course, StarOffice, a whapping 30-45 seconds.  This must be due
to my processor being only an AMD K6-III 400 MHZ.  1 GHZ sounds appetizing
right now.  I have about 400MB of RAM, some 256MB of swap space, and a few
EIDE hard drives - Maxtor, Western Digital, and Quantom (with varying ns
speeds).  I have one question regarding speed - is SCSI any faster than the
latest EIDE hard drives?

--
Rick Rosinski
http://rickrosinski.com