Serious cabling problem

Jason plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 02 Oct 2001 08:21:30 +0000

True that, although at some point the wiring became Ethernet wiring
instead of T1 wiring.

The major difference between Cat5 cable and cheaper cable is the
number of twists per foot. Less twists = more prone to interference.
One thing that has been known to work is to ground the all the unused
pairs on both ends of the circuit, forming grounded loops that
basically do nothing but act as shields against interference, both
internal and external. If its "almost working" this can make the
difference.

Its not a guaranteed solution and definitly not "the right way" but it
works in a pinch.

OTOH if your losing signal because of capacitance issues, this wont
help one bit at all.

--
jkenner @ mindspring . com__
I Support Linux:           _> _  _ |_  _  _     _|