KDE and speed

Kurt Granroth plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 1 Oct 2001 13:36:15 -0700

On Sunday 30 September 2001 10:34 am, Lucas Vogel wrote:
> Has anyone noticed how slow KDE is? I'm running 2.2.1 and everything seems
> to run so doggedly slow. I have an Athlon 1Ghz and 256MB of memory, yet
> when I go to open Konqueror or Kmail it takes 2-3 seconds for it to load
> up. Is it just me or what? Do I need to tweak something somewhere?

Well.. this *can* be quite the involved topic if we want to go that route.
There has been thousands of words and quite a few lines of code written about
this.

But rather than go there now, I'd like to know why 2-3 seconds is "doggedly
slow" to you?  I also have a 1Ghz Athlon with 384MB memory and a 100UDMA
drive.  Konqueror takes about 2-3 seconds from a standing start and less than
a second with Ctrl+N (same process).  KMail takes a bit longer since I have
*lots* of mail boxes.  I don't think this is slow.

By comparison, I did some quick tests on similar software.  Mozilla (0.93)
takes between 6-8 seconds.  Opera is between 3-5 seconds.  Netscape 4.x is
about 3 seconds.  Star Office takes over 20 seconds.

On my system, then, Konqueror starts up *faster* than the comparable non-KDE
software....
            KDE -- Conquer Your Desktop