@home shutting down?

Tyler Hall plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 28 Nov 2001 13:56:39 -0500

Ahh.. @Home..  Gotta love them.  I just actually got there service in my
house about a month ago, I asked the technician that came out to my house
about the whole home.com bankrupty and this is what he told me (who knows if
it's true, he's just a idiot that works for cox@)

Excite@Home went bankrupt, and so they sold it to ATT (I believe) and ATT
wasn't doing good either, so what cox did was they bought part of there
service from @home, and they made there own cable service.  It is now called
SP@Home.

So, I asked what is the difference between SP@home?  They said nothing!
Execpt Cox@ owns it, instead of @Home.     Even though I have home.com email
addresses still but who knows.

The only big difference from cox@home and sp@home which I hate is, that you
don't have to change your computer name to cx23815901385 or anything anymore.

You no longer get a static ip either, it's true DHCP,  if you log off your
machine for a few hours, you will have a new ip in the morning.    Which
bugged the crap out of me, so I just went and bought a router,  have had the
same ip for 3 weeks now ;-)

I asked why they changed to DHCP, and they told me because cox@ only bought a
certain amount of ips from home.com, and they don't have enough ips to give
everyone a static ip anymore.

Another disadvantage of sp@home is for the IRC users.    They make it so your
ip will resolve to some hostname, but that hostname doesnt resolve.

So, when your on IRC, you won't have a hostname anymore, it will all by IPs,
which suck for access lists and such if you use them by hostnames.

I called Cox@ and asked them whats up with that, and they couldn't come up
with a answer for me.   One guy even asked me what DNS was.

But the speeds between sp@home and cox@home are no different.   I can't
notice a difference.   The guy also said that cox was converting all of there
customers to sp@home within a few months.  Who knows?

Tyler Hall