Woohoo!!!

Bob George plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 26 Nov 2001 14:09:07 -0700

"Tom Achtenberg" <Tom.Achtenberg@fh.org> wrote:

> Tried that a long time ago.  It doesn't work.

Assuming it's an MS-DOS formatted (it *is* formatted, right?) floppy, try:
"mount -t msdos /dev/fd0 /mnt"

Assuming it works, the files on floppy can be accessed via /mnt (i.e. "ls
/mnt" will show you the contents).

To remove the floppy, try: "umount /mnt"

> IMHO until they fix things like accessing CD's and floppy drives to make
it completely
> automatic, Linux will never compete with Windows for the desktop market.
It simply
> is not user friendly enough for the normal user.

True, to a point. However, MS-DOS and Windows aren't exactly intuitive to
new users either (my opinion, based on the years I spent doing training).
Linux is indeed very "different". However, if everything were done according
to how new users expect it to be, it wouldn't necessarily be a BETTER
product in the end. It might be... just like Windows.

There are perfectly good reasons things are as they are today. To some
extent, it can be argued that a single user system doesn't need some of
these features/protections/capabilities. Equally good arguments can be made
the other way.

In any case, get it all working and get familiar with it. You're
understandably a bit frustrated now, but with a bit of patience,  I expect
you'll find the rewards well worth the effort.

Good luck!

- Bob