Would you pay for commercial software for Linux?

Bill Warner plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
26 Nov 2001 11:12:27 -0700

--=-HjIm23XJSGprUAIjCG0B

On Sun, 2001-11-25 at 09:10, Lynn David Newton wrote:

> It's almost enough to make a guy switch to using a
> Windows system. Clearly, MS has won the desktop war.
> Linux never had a chance in that arena. The only
> persons using Linux as a desktop are those idealists
> among us who have become jaded on Unix and have not yet
> given up the lost battle. (Like me.)

I don't think it is a lost battle only because there is a resurgence in
linux/unix use.  Linux is growing and doesn't show any signs of stopping
yet...  MS Software is getting more expensive and less people are going
to be able to copy/pirate it and they mind share will slowly go down. =20

I personally think that Linux has already won.  There is little I can't
do in Linux right now that I would be able to do in windows (aside from
running MS Software directly like you did mention), and that list is
shrinking daily.  There is a lot I can do in Linux that cant be done on
windows, at least not without a large fortune.

--=20
Bill Warner
Unix/Linux Admin.
Direct Alliance Corporation

Company required stuff:

Contents are Direct Alliance Corporation Confidential

This message is for the designated recipient(s) only and contains
Direct Alliance Corporation privileged and confidential information.
If you have received it in error, please notify the sender immediately
and delete the original.  Any other use of this email is prohibited.

--=-HjIm23XJSGprUAIjCG0B

--=-HjIm23XJSGprUAIjCG0B--