Would you pay for commercial software for Linux?

Alan Dayley plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 25 Nov 2001 21:15:08 -0700

I would have to recognize the difference in distribution also.  These
policies hide the real cost of the software from the end user.  MS et. al.
did not give away those copies of the software, someone in the distribution
chain had to pay for them or they would loose market share.  Nice setup for
MS as they get paid and the end user thinks they got "free" software.

Of course, it is not really free.  The cost of the software is figured into
to retail price of the PC being purchased.  Fry's or Dell or anyone else is
not out to lose money.  Fry's makes up any loss on the bare-bones system with
markups on the add-ons (hard drive, memory, monitor, etc.) and pays for the
MS license from that, assuming the bare-bones system really is a loss leader.

Open/free software cannot hide the real cost from the end user, assuming the
end user actually wants to overcome their "human nature" and pay for the
software development.  The responsibility to support the developer rests
squarely with the end user.  If they don't contribute volutarily, they know
they are riding on the efforts of others, for free.

Maybe people can't live with a guilty conscience of using free software
without paying for it but they don't mind if someone in the supply chain paid
"for" them.

I think I am starting to ramble now.....

Alan