Would you pay for commercial software for Linux?

Derek A. Neighbors plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 25 Nov 2001 19:04:57 -0700

>The bottom line is that the culture of Linux is contrary to commercial
>enterpise and selfish human nature.  So, a commercial software company,
>writing for the Linux market faces even greater odds against success
>than companies targeting the Windows market.  And the odds of success in the
>Windows market is not very high either, even without the culture working
>against it.

Lets also look at the MOST popular and 'successful' 'commericial'
windows products.

Windows 95/98/NT/etc : FREE : Comes with the computer you buy (in most
cases)
Quicken : FREE : My Stockbroker Firm Gives Free Copies
Office/Works : FREE : Comes with the computer you buy (in most cases)

If these products were not forcing thier products in at OEM of dell,
gateway etc I dont think they would be having the 'fiscal' success they
currently enjoy.  I have often heard users that go buy a new computer
just to get the new windows/office/quicken.

So I think not only are the 'cultures' different, but so are the
distribution channels.

-Derek