Would you pay for commercial software for Linux?

Kimi A. Adams plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 25 Nov 2001 16:25:52 -0700

Well, I have read most of the responses to this question.  And I had to sit
and ponder on a few things before I answered.  Let me set some things in
place first.  Some of them I am just repeating or for the sake of how the
"commercial" world is set up, not personal feelings.

Way back in the dark ages, there was a computer that only ran if you "knew"
the Zeros and Ones.  Then there was some
improvement.........yada......yada.....yada.  (advance to a year closer to
current year).  Then we could play games over the internet.  And we can
talk and see each other over the internet.  And we can do lot's of things
like pay bills and see our checking balance and buy all the necessities of
life there as well.

Now, with that in mind, people want the nice point and click
interfaces.  They are not of the mind set that this group or most Unix /
Linux people have.  We, as a group, want to have something that works,
works well, works long and hard, and then we want some of the "fluff".  I
have purchased for two years now the Red Hat Professional set.  This year,
I found Debian.  Did you know that Fry's  either doesn't carry this product
or it's always gone off the shelve?

I can't change over to a pure Linux desktop because I have Daytimer,
QuickBooks, DreamWeaver, Eye Candy and several other products from the MS
library.   If I had the opportunity to change over and purchase them?  Yes,
yes, yes.  I would do it in a heartbeat.  But the people that are
programming and developing for Linux aren't at the same level of product
quality with these above programs for the real working world.  There is a
huge gulf in between for most companies.  MS Office is the leading program
that is requested in the Secretary/Office section of the Want Ads each Sunday.

So, please, developers, hurry.  I need help.  My Windows computer is
completely disabled every 90 days from the hard core activity I pound it
with.  My company needs a solution to the daily ho hum we get from
Windows.   And now, QuickBooks is interfaced with Internet Explorer.  It
takes resources that are bogging down the system like crazy!

.......glub.......glub.........(folks, she's down for the
count)..........ggggglllllllluuuuuuuubbbbb............

Kimi Adams
Unity Wave