Would you pay for commercial software for Linux?

Derek Neighbors plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 25 Nov 2001 16:53:09 -0600 (CST)

> Would you pay for commercial software for Linux?  Ie: Say, games,
> productivity applications, etc?

No.  It defeats teh purpose.  Rewaqrding someone for 'license' fees is not
a good thing.  However, I have regularly written checks to companies that
produce free software independent of a 'license'.  I have for example
bought a redhat boxed set.

I.e. I will pay money for commercial grade 'free software', but i will not
pay money for ANY non-free software.

> > If so, why does it seem that most linux commercial software ventures
> fail?

They dont understand our community.  Our community is not about 'leasing
the privelege of using a vendors software'.  Until the vendors understand
that they will not make money selling leases to closed software on an
open/free platform.

-Derek