Would you pay for commercial software for Linux?

Matt Alexander plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 25 Nov 2001 08:14:58 -0800 (PST)

Yes, I do pay for commercial software for Linux, such as games, VMWare,
Chilisoft's ASP product, Veritas netbackup, etc.

In answer to your second question, I'd say that most commercial software
ventures fail.  The only real money-makers for software seem to be Office
suites, which Microsoft sells the majority of (but is now having a
difficult time getting people to see any additional value to upgrading).
Everything else that most people use, such as web browsers or email
software are usually free.  My guess is that even if you're strictly a
commercial software vendor for Windows, you're still going to have a very
rough time making much money.
~M