Killing processes by name

Eric Richardson plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 21 Nov 2001 15:48:45 -0700

George Toft wrote:

 > Good point.  I forgot Linux uses green threads vice native threads, so
 >  you are right.  I am used to Solaris with native threads.

I'm using blackdown 1.3 which I think uses the native thread model and
maps one java to one native linux thread and I'm pretty sure that the
green threads in 1.2.2 for linux uses many Java threads to one process
as green are emulated threads. I guess linux uses Light Weight
Process(LWP) threads so that's why they show up in the process table.
I'm using 2.2.x kernel so it could be different now in 2.4.x.

There is a great Solaris white paper on Java. They have it set up so in
SMP, Java threads in the same VM can be executed on different processors
at the same time. We were running Java at Motorola on the first E10k and
it smoked for Java anyway.

My output uses mixed mode for client or server:
java -server -version
java version "1.3.1"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build Blackdown-1.3.1-FCS)
Java HotSpot(TM) Server VM (build Blackdown-1.3.1-FCS, mixed mode)

java -classic -version
java version "1.3.1"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build Blackdown-1.3.1-FCS)
Classic VM (build Blackdown-1.3.1-FCS, native threads, nojit)

This sort of supports the Linux LWP theory - somebody else might know
for sure.
Eric