Encyclopedia Wishlists

Trent Shipley plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 19 Nov 2001 19:02:19 -0700

How much you pay me?

----------

    That too is a good idea, but I'll have to think about how much work it
would be.

Hmmm.

I could re-write the thing in TEI or DocBook where you have an actual index
SGML element, that would make indexing pretty easy after the first
maintenance pass.  That would mean converting to DocBook ... that can be done
90% with PERL, maybe XSLT.  Once index tags are put in they can be
automatically extracted.

Browsers are supposed to be able to combine arbitrary XML + CSS style
instructions these days, but I don't know how many really do that.

Then there is the problem of whether I can get Apache|IIS to do PHP|ASP with
*.docbk when I have no direct control over the HTTP server.

-------

Bottom line, I'm *not* going to do that in HTML without using a RDBMS.

Sorry.