RH 7.2 Install strangeness

Thomas Mondoshawan Tate plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 19 Nov 2001 07:49:41 -0700

--huq684BweRXVnRxX

On Sun, Nov 18, 2001 at 10:55:32PM -0700, Sean Roe wrote:
> Hello all,
>=20
> I just installed RH 7.2 on a box.  After the install I can no longer see =
the=20
> CDrom (DVD).  I mean I cant mount it. When I try it says it is not a bloc=
k device.  In /dev cdrom looks properly=20
> linked to hdc.  Im lost.  Any ideas?
>=20
> sr

Check the dmesg for lines that read something to this effect:

hda: Maxstor .... 12GB HD
hdb: HITACHI CD-RW ....

These lines tell you which devices have been assigned to which /dev files.
Look for a line that contains something about your DVD drive, and change the
/dev/cdrom link to point to the device name before the colon. Eg: according
to the above information, my /dev/cdrom should point to /dev/hdb.

---
Thomas "Mondoshawan" Tate
phoenix@psy.ed.asu.edu
http://tank.dyndns.org