486SX runs "newish" Linux?

Jim plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 18 Nov 2001 22:11:49 -0700

It might be that the bios on your motherboard won't support a 1.2GB
drive.  I've had a problem similar to this once.  I corrected it by trying
a smaller hard drive that was supported by the bios.  My machine has an AMD
K5 100mhz processor.  The bios supports drives up to 8.4GB.  It boots from
a 1GB drive.  I also have a 60GB drive in it.  My machine has no trouble
using that drive.

If you can find an old 400 or 500 MB drive, try booting from it.