Building Lyx, xforms library problem

Vaughn Treude plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 18 Nov 2001 08:55:20 -0500

Hello all:
	I'm looking for a linux-based replacement for MS Publisher.  I did a Web
search, and the closest thing I could find was a tex-based frontend program
called Lyx.  I downloaded the source for Lyx 1.1.6.  The documentation
informed me that I needed a package called xforms, so I also downloaded
xforms version 0.89.  The problem I have is in building Lyx.  All the modules
compile, but on the link, it fails with scads of references to unknown
functions such as fl_activate_object (which I know happen to be in the
"forms" library from xforms 0.89.)  For some reason the makefile doesn't seem
to be able to find it.  Unfortunately, makefiles seem to have gotten very
complicated since my Unix hacking days of the 1980's, and I can't figure out
what's happening.
	The Lyx source came with a library called "libxforms.a" which is apparently
not the same as xforms; it appears to be built on top of it.  I tried copying
the xforms library file "libforms.a" into the same directory where the
libxforms.a resides, but that didn't fix the problem.  I've looked in the
makefile, and though it references libxforms, there's no reference to
libforms.  I could add one in but I'm mystified by the ".la" extension they
use for the libraries.  I assume it's some kind of symbol or reference table,
because each library seems to have files with both ".a" and ".la" extensions.
 But there was no "libforms.la" library included with the xforms 0.89
package, so I don't know what to do with it.
	My guess is that there's probably some environment variable that would tell
the Lyx makefile where to look for libforms, because I don't think they'd
expect you to modify the makefile for a standard build.  Have any of you had
experience with this package?  I've done a web search for Lyx build problems,
unfortunately the references are almost all in French (and you know how
wonderfully those auto-translation programs work.  :-) )  In the meantime,
I've downloaded the Gnu make manual, but I was wondering if there were any
other references that would be helpful.

	Thanks in advance,

Vaughn Treude
Nakota Software, Inc.