Wanted: Small OS for firewall on old 486

Patrick Hustis plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 16 Nov 2001 00:52:14 -0700

I've been using Smoothwall for about two months now, and it's really nice.  Very easy to set up, and the default rule set is pretty stringent.  It includes Snort for intrusion detection, Squid web cache/proxy, a caching DNS setup, port forwarding, and quite a bit more.   It also has a very nice web based administration page.

I'm currently running it on a 486DX4-100 w/16 MB RAM and a 300 MB hard drive.  It seems to handle even a moderate load without blinking.  I recently had 15 people over and we were playing Half-Life, Quake3, etc. on public internet servers and lag wasn't a problem (CableArizona provides 512k upstream, unlike Cox's 128k).

The install ISO is a whopping 25 megs.

http://www.smoothwall.org

Patrick