linux box troubles

KevinO plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 15 Nov 2001 19:32:04 -0700

Jim wrote:
> > What eth card do you have?  what driver is it using? what does ifconfig tell you? Are you on COX using DHCP?
>
> rtl8139.  I'm not sure what driver it's using.  When I first installed
> linux, the cards were already installed.  During the installation they
> were detected.

I had a problem like this a while back with a Realtek 8139 card. Try
replacing it. Although I still have a few of these around here that seem
to work fine, the one in question would just quit working once in a
while just like you described.

Logging in locally and restarting the network would restore it to
operation for a while. It eventually died completely.

--
Kevin O'Connor

 "People will be free to devote themselves to activities that are fun

The GNU Manifesto - Copyright (C) 1985, 1993 Free Software Foundation,
Inc.