Killing processes by name

Bill Warner plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
15 Nov 2001 09:39:31 -0700

--=-h7w74Yifgx+i8wi0Qmm0

Make sure to read the killall man page well.  Also don't expect killall
to have the same effect on other unix's.  Expecialy hpux.  Just incase
you get too use to useing it and login to another box.

Bill Warner

On Thu, 2001-11-15 at 00:25, Carl Parrish wrote:
> Thanks everyone this worked out great (why isn't there a ref to killall=20
> in the kill man page????).
>=20
> Carl P.
>=20
> foodog wrote:
>=20
> > Sooo close :) try
> > # killall java_vm
> >=20
> > or: killall -<whatever signal> progname
> >=20
> > I find myself using 'killall -9 netscape-communicator' pretty regularly
> > Steve
> >=20
> > Carl Parrish wrote:
> >=20
> >>Okay is there any way to kill a process by name? Since I've update to R=
> >>  7.2 I been noticing that I had problems with mozilla or other apps.
> >>Today I finally thought to check for java_vm processes. there are
> >>*hundres* of them they aren't dying I don't know if that's just because
> >>I have so much memory the garbage collector simply isn't clearing them
> >>or what but I want them dead and I don't wont to have to type in ever
> >>process number. is there a way I can just say kill all java_vm processe=
s?

> >>Carl P.

> >=20
> >=20
>=20
>=20
--=20
Bill Warner
Unix/Linux Admin.
Direct Alliance Corporation

Company required stuff:

Contents are Direct Alliance Corporation Confidential

This message is for the designated recipient(s) only and contains
Direct Alliance Corporation privileged and confidential information.
If you have received it in error, please notify the sender immediately
and delete the original.  Any other use of this email is prohibited.

--=-h7w74Yifgx+i8wi0Qmm0

--=-h7w74Yifgx+i8wi0Qmm0--