VFAT read-only except for root

Victor Odhner plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 14 Nov 2001 12:46:43 -0700

I would appreciate any advice on how I could write to Win98
files from a Linux application as an ordinary user, other
than making my application suid root.  I guess I'm hoping
for some obscure option or tool that will bridge the gap
for me.

All VFAT files appear as mode 644, owned by root.  Even root
isn't allowed to change the mode -- I guess the filesystem has
no way to record stuff like that.  I also can't create symlinks.

It would be nice if Linux would create Windows shortcuts in
lieu of symlinks, and would recognize shortcuts as if they were
symlinks.  Maybe they'll get to this in the future.  Of course
not even all Windows apps recognize shortcuts!  Go figure ...

I run on a dual-boot Win98/RH7.1 system.  I bring up Linux
using loadlin from the command prompt.

I was pleased to learn that my Linux kernel can inded support
VFAT, to look at my Win98 FAT16 volumes and to display long
file names.  One obscure piece of trivia is that you don't see
this displayed as one of the supported types (I forget what
query I used that didn't show this), and I was thinking I
would have to recompile the kernel.

VFAT access works fine, and I can use shell and Perl scripts
conveniently to tear through the Windows file system (as root)
on search 'n destroy missions -- with due caution.  I have my
Windows system volume marked as read only to avoid any serious
SNAFUs.  I also recently installed Cygwin, but since it's stuck
in the Windows file system I can't reach over the line to work
on my Linux files.

I know -- I really need to upgrade to a hotter box and install
VMWare, but I don't have a toys budget right now.

Thanks,

Vic