eth0 won't come up

Craig White plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 14 Nov 2001 09:22:48 -0700

Alan Dayley wrote:

> At 10:39 AM 11/12/01 -0700, you wrote:
> >Tulip drivers haven't been consistent thru various kernels.
> >
> >I tend to use the DEC4x5 whenever possible - it may or may not work with
> >your setup and it may actually be the Davicom which has been a problem
> >too.
>
> Tell me how I can try to use this.  What is the DEC4x5 and Davicom?  Please?

--------
I was hoping someone else had a better concept of this than I but I
would probably -

To unload a module, turn off the associated interface(s)

 'ifconfig eth?? down' then 'rmmod de4x5'.

 (i.e. ifconfig eth0 down and then rmmod tulip)

then finally

 insmod de4x5

I would suppose that you would then want to ifconfig etho0 up

and possibly service network restart

reverse the process to put it back to tulip if the de4x5 doesn't work

I am kind of a groper when it comes to things like this since I haven't
had to do much of this kind of force but I think you get the idea. And
perhaps - some of the more knowledgable might want to pipe in on this -
they may have a better idea.

Craig

btw the davicom is known as dmfe and you can always resort to ne2k-pci
which covers a fairly broad range of novell compatible cards.