Why Linux will win and Micro$oft will lose

Todd Hought plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
13 Nov 2001 21:26:47 -0700

On Tue, 2001-11-13 at 21:07, der.hans wrote:
> Am 10. Nov, 2001 schwätzte Carl Parrish so:
>
> > Micro$oft is trying to control the world of computing (and if they keep
> > diversifying I'll just end that at "the world"). Linux is trying to make
> > the best OS. Belive it or not. You don't need to own the Desktop market
> > to prove that you have the best OS and Linux isn't really about proving
> > anything to anyone anyway. I've always hated how the media pits us, the
> > Linux community, against M$; but what I hate even more is how we've
> > started listening. So let me say for the record That I have *zero*
>
> I see it as more of a case that if the only bastion of freedom left on the
> planet is your home, then you've lost.
>
> As you say m$ wants "the world". If they would use *only* standard
> protocols and data formats, then it wouldn't matter that others use their
> products. Moto Guzzi, though small, still have a very broad base because
> there are street standards that they can build for. What happens when every
> street corner has a control booth and they only let vehicles that m$ has
> approved through? Moto Guzzi goes away if m$ doesn't approve them. We can
> only reverse engineer, etc. so much. Especially when they're making it
> illegal :(.
>
> If someone keeps intruding on your freedom, you have to either give up your
> freedom or fight to keep it. Since the DoJ obviously won't protect our
> freedoms, we have to.

Exactly, but how? how does one fight for their freedom in this day and
age without being labeled as a
hacker/cracker/copyright_infringer/terrorist?
With people like John Ashcroft giving the constitution double duty as
toilet paper, It's going to be an uphill battle just to keep the things
that we deserve to have.
Where do I sign up

maybe this thread should get moved to alt.politics? :-)