Appropriate gdm startup

Patrick Hustis plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 12 Nov 2001 22:51:51 -0700

Howdy all...

I just finished installing Mandrake 8.1.  I must say it was one of the easiest installs I've ever done.  After running KDE 1.x for so long, KDE 2.x is really nice!

Anyway, I need it to act as an X server and allow remote logins.  When it boots up in runlevel 5 gdm is not running.  I have to switch to another terminal (which was kind of cool to discover, I didn't know you could do that from within X)  and launch it, or boot up in runlevel 3 and launch it from the command line.  Is there anyway to have runlevel 5 launch gdm instead of the standard kde/gnome login?  Or, am I better off setting it to runlevel 3 and adding a link in rc3.d to launch it automatically. (The second method just sounds ugly.  I havn't tried it so I don't know if it would even work.)

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Patrick
Patrick Hustis
TelTrax Corporation
Vice President  Information Systems