Gnome apps won't open for user, but will for admin

John (EBo) David plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 12 Nov 2001 01:27:02 -0700

Mark Berkwitt wrote:

> I wish I knew.
>
> On Thu 08 Nov 2001 02:21:pm, you wrote:
> >  does'nt X create a .file for what u have and dont hace access to when u
> > run X for the first time..
> >
> > I remember X rebuilding this file when i upgraded to xf4.1.0 from tar ball
> >
> > Nige

The time or two I've seen something similar it was caused by premission
or ownership problems.  Try a couple of the following:

1) Check the PATH variable (printenv PATH) an make sure you can see the
programs at all.  It may be possible that the directory in which they
are installed is not in your path vairiable but is in for the default
root path.

2) check the permissions (ls -l) of the executables.  If you see
something like:

 -rwx------ root     root ...

that means that only root can execut it...

My guess is that the problem is #1 the paths point to the wrong place...

  EBo --