Why Linux will win and Micro$oft will lose

Tom Achtenberg plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 11 Nov 2001 12:54:06 -0700

On Saturday 10 November 2001 03:48 pm, you wrote:
> There is a big difference between using an operating system and
> installing or configuring one.
>
> Most Windoze users haven't a clue how to do either one.
>
> Give a preconfigured Linux box to someone who has never had a computer
> before and the ease of use
> is as good or better than Windoze. ( A recent report rated KDE 2 better
> than MacOS and WinXP for ease of use.)
>
> I personally have setup two Mandrake boxes for computer newbies. One to
> a friend of mine and the other
> to my girlfriend's daughter. In each case I helped them get their ppp
> setup. They have had very little
> difficulty in web browsing, using email, etc.. One of them had some
> experience with windows, the other
> had never used a computer at all.

This is all fine until the run down to the local Best Buy or the like and buy
the lates game or any other software.  They will then sood discover that at
this time the unknowing Linux users like themselves are out of luck. And
they'll be calling you up to "fix" it.